Disney Mickey and Minnie Cake Pop Pan Review



After discovering the Disney Mickey Mouse Cake Pop Maker pan at my local pharmacy (under $15.00...who could resist!) I decided I had to try one more option to master the elusive Mickey head pop. Seems pretty simple. All you do is make cake batter, cook in the little maker, decorate and voila. Delish.
 


I followed the directions carefully, especially making sure to not overfill the mold. Frankly, this can't be done. No matter how carefully you fill, it WILL overflow and make a big batter mass. Then you need to cut away the extra batter. This is pretty tasty with a fresh fortune cookie texture. (you know how to make fortune cookies? I made them in high school and they are basically little batter rounds that you quickly fold with a fortune inside and fold while hot.) Beware of the Minnie heads as when you trim the excess batter you will lose some bows. These are not really cake pops, but more like puffy mini cupcakes.
 

I had seen an idea on Pinterest to make a cake pop tree, so two birds with one pop, and attempted to make a Mickey head cake pop tree. First I covered foam molds with homemade fondant and rolled in blue sugar crystals. So far so good.


 



 Now to dip the Mickey and Minnie heads. I clearly have issues with dipping. No matter what I do it turns into a gloppy mess that is more like spreading than dipping. Ears broke off and those darn bows. As seen, I had a hard time completely covering the pops with coating and had little areas exposed. I dipped a few, washed hands, sprinkled sugar, washed hands, dipped a few, washed hands, and so on. I made the mistake of putting the pops on a cooling rack to dry, and when I tried to retrieve them the coating stuck and tore off chunks. What would work better? I guess wax paper is worth a try.

Then to try and assemble the trees to look Pinterest worthy. This did not happen. This was not even Kindergarten worthy. In my defense, round balls would cover a tree shaped mold better than items mouse ears shaped. I did not have enough pops to adequately cover both molds but since both molds already had fondant, oh well, it is what it is.
 



By all reports these were yummy and enjoyed, although not pretty to look at. I'll make them again for a fun treat, realizing I will lose a lot of batter to overflow (maybe I should form some little fortune cookies to go with?) 
 Certainly worth the under $15.00 price tag, but not really a cake pop maker.