Disney Recipe ~ Disneyland Cheesy Enchilada Soup ~ My Take



This is served at the Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café in Disney California Adventure, and it's also been spotted on the menu at Jolly Holiday Bakery Café at Disneyland. I didn't want to eat it there since it commits the ultimate sin in liquid based dishes by having corn included. I cannot eat corn in a soup or stew or chowder. So, I decided to make this dish at home and skip the corn. The original recipe follows, with my changes noted.

1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
5 yellow corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup corn (nope!)
5 cups chicken stock
1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree (stores in my town didn't have this so I used 2-8 ounce cans of tomato sauce)
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon Tapatio hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons flour
1/3 cup water
2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed (I used 1 cup to make up for leaving out the corn)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.

Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a 10" skillet. When oil is hot, add tortilla strips and stir until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic, bell pepper and corn (if using). Cook for about 2 minutes.
Stir in chicken stock, tomato puree (sauce), salt, chili powder, pepper, sugar, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Whisk flour and water in a small bowl and stir into soup. Bring to a boil, them simmer 4 minutes.
Add chicken and bring back to a simmer.
Stir in cream, sour cream, shredded cheese and black beans.
To serve, garnish with fried tortilla strips and cilantro if desired. I live in the southwest and put avocado on anything we get away with, so I added some chopped avocado to top the soup. Delicious!