Is the Walt Disney World Quick Service Dining Plan Worth It?

I'm often asked if the dining plans offered at Walt Disney World are 'worth it'. There are many ways to look at this question. Worth it as in you get more dollar amount back than you put in? Worth it for convenience? Worth it to reduce stress? We'll look at all of these.
 

 Walt Disney World offers three different plans at different rates. All rates are for per person, per night of stay. This article deals with the Quick Service plan, the most economical of the three. With this plan, each person receives 2 Quick Service meals and 2 Snacks per person per night. It also includes the resort refillable mug. As of this writing, the adult price of the plan was $55 per person per night. For my stay, this totaled $330.

Was it worth it?

For my plan I would get 12 meals and 12 snacks along with the resort refillable mug. The mug costs $19.99, with tax added $21.19, so that brings the 'cost' of the plan to $308.81. It's important to know that if you pay out of pocket, you'll pay 6% tax on the meals and some of the smacks. Snacks in the park at carts and kiosks sometimes include the tax, so this makes the calculations a little more confusing. For the sake of the article I didn't add tax to the value of snacks. Most snacks run about $5.00, but you can also find light meals with your snack credit, such as a Beef Wellington sample during the Epcot International Festival of the Arts which ran $8.90.
A big factor in deciding if you would well utilize the plan is if you like alcoholic or specialty drinks with your meal. Recently, Disney allowed these types of drinks to be counted as the beverage at locations that offer alcohol or specialty drinks. These drinks often cost $10, so can go a long way to adding up to your magic break even dollar amount.

What value do you put on convenience and lack of stress during your trip? Since you've pre paid for your dining plan, you can order the most expensive item on the menu plus a big icy drink without a second thought. Your children over 9 who are on the adult plan can order that big meal and shake, even though you know they won't finish it, without grimacing about the cost or arguments. This is worth a lot on a family trip.
What kind of meals are on the plan? Pretty much everything. You'll find abundant choices at all four parks, Disney Springs and the resorts. Nearly all locations also offer alcoholic selections or fun drinks. I found I couldn't finish most of the meals.
Here's a small sampling.

Disney Springs. The Polite Pig. Huge yummy meal and a craft cocktail Grapefruit Margarita. Bill was over $30, my total... $0 and a quick swipe of the Magic Band.
Sannaa Breakfast. Eggs Benedict and a Bellini. $22 plus tax if paid out of pocket.
Casey's Corner. A simple regular size hot dog and non alcoholic Mint Julep. $19 plus tax.

If you're like me, if I'm shelling out cash or card for a meal, I'll have tap water and maybe even a child's meal to save. It was really a pleasure to just get whatever I wanted, and try new things without regard to cost.

So money wise, how did it all shake out? $330 cost, cost for same items if paid out of pocket: $399.86, for a savings of $69.86. Yes, I could have done it cheaper with my usual tap water/child meal plan, but I enjoyed the freedom more than I thought I would. I'm a fan! I'll be doing the Quick Service plan again. I think it's the best value of the three offered plans, and
 
with the most ease of use.

Give it a try!